Saturday, March 22, 2014

Why O why, Generation Y?

Lately I've been watching some Hong Kong series. It is quite different from a while back (like 10 years ago)when I used to be a fanatic TVB-fan. The set-up of these series are different, the actors/actresses are younger and seem less experienced and the slang used are so 'new'.


One of the things they talked about that caught my attention was '90 后‘, which means the generation after 1990. They are known by different names: the Millennials, the generation Y. In the series they're posed as the irresponsible, wild and plan-free/worry-free generation. Here are some characteristics of this group based on this article http://itthing.com/4-tell-tale-signs-that-you-are-from-generation-y:



1. tech-savvy
They are the generation that grew up with technology in bloom. Mobile phones and laptops were a necessity and not a choice.

2. attention- seekers
They LOOOOVE attention. Social network sites are a daily need. People need to know what they're doing. When they're sad/happy, they want to share it with the world. At work, they crave for compliments and approval. With friends, they want to be the center of attention.
 
3. Driven, but not so driven
They want financial success to buy all the material luxury: expensive apparel, expensive booze, expensive cars, which they mostly can't afford. Their goal is not to maintain it, their aim is to have it. For instance, if they want to buy a Porsche, they'll try to save money (or some other faster way) for it (some get it from parents), but they will not think about how much they'll need to pay for gas every month.
 
4. Teamwork
They like to work in teams, but due to personal experience, I believe they want to work in a group, so that they will not need to do everything themselves. If it fails it's finger pointing, if it's successful, they share the appraisal.

I do admit that in my direct vicinity,  I do encounter people in this generation and they do seem to have these traits. Overconfident, very assumptious and especially very unfocussed. I had and still have a hard time dealing with them.

They do have some traits that are sure to envy: open-mindedness, more ME-time and the dare-to-love mentality. It might come over as selfish, but what's wrong with a bit more ME-love?

But I see the same traits from people who are in the late 80s and some after 90s are pretty responsible. So does is really has to do with the generation or is it just people at that age?

Looking back at myself in the early 20s I consider myself back then very irresponsible. The first years in the university were so wasted away. The classes were loose: nobody cares if you attend or not. And since it was not a major I preferred I really only took classes that interested me. No idea which direction to choose, what plans to make and how further with my life. What mattered was that moment and what comes will come.

Probably Karma really hits me in the face by showing me the after 90s kids. I used to be the same person, who would procrastinate, making plans to party and doesn't have a care in the world about the things I said. I still kept the straightforwardness, since that's a personal trait. But I believe that I've learned to wait for the right time to say the right things ( not always though). And I actually don't see the wrong thing about it. I love honesty.

During college, I was in a student board. There was this girl, who dislikes me, but I like the way she is. I mean...of course it's not nice not to be liked, but I admire her honesty to show it to me. For me, I prefer a true enemy above a fake friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment